Most people think of violence as a physical assault. However, workplace violence is a much borader problem. It is any actin which a person is abused, threatened, intimidated or assaulted in his or her employment. Workplace violence includes:
- Threatening behavior: such as shaking fists, destroying property or throwing objects
- Verbal or written threats: any expression of an intent to inflict harm
- Harassment: any behavior that demeans, embarrasses, humiliates, annoys, alarms or verbally abuses a person and that is known or would e expected to be unwelcome. This includes words, gestures, intimidation, bullying, or other inappropriate activities.
- Verbal abuse: swearing, insults or condescending language
- Physical attacks: hitting, shoving, pushing or kicking